|Wiyot (Della Prince)||English|
1. Gawu vayughu’ruviyoutw gitga, Wigi dadalilh, gurra loudegaquwou’m yulh.
|I’m going to tell a story about the Humboldt Bay people, but I don’t know very much about it.|
2. Da gudughunu goutsawi’warr, rrak vou’r dadalilh.
|The northern people abused them terribly.|
3. Rrak hishvuri daqoun, ya gawu dalilh, gudughunu goutsawi’warr.
|The people from the south started to go because they were abused terribly.|
4. Voul, da dou vularr.
|They had houses built.|
5. Bi’murr, gida vulh, juwa da gudughunu goutsawi’warr.
|Perhaps it was at South Jetty where they were terribly abused.|
6. Voulaqh, vi’wurr, gou dula tighurrushilh, kasuni’.
|In their houses, where the smoke goes out, the smokeholes.|
7. Hou’l, du va diqeburughashouy, vusu'l, ga vulh hiruwibagurrurr.
|They came and poured water down, so their fires all went out.|
8. Dalhda da nughurruk, hi yililh daqoun, gitga gulak da’l, gitga.
|After some time they said, “We’re not going to stay any longer.”|
9. Lhu svawi gudughunu goutsawi’warr.
|They had been abused so very badly.|
10. Rrak hishvuri, gitga daqoun rrudalilh.
|They decided to go south.|
11. Rrak hishvuri, rrudalilh, juwa vulh ya’ruwayaqouy.
|They went south, that's where they all went.|
12. Juwa qus, hi da ga’w, youditanuli’souy, rrawi’ gitga vulh, rradughu’n, ga gou bougu’nulilh, ga dishgamilh gitga, hougaqou’muqu’l daqoun, rrak vou’r darrudalilh.
|A hill was made to lie along there; they thought, “The north wind won’t touch us anymore”; they didn’t want the north people to know about it.|
13. Juwa va wourr da nughurruk, qus ha vulh loulhiv, juwa da wanu qus hougawuqu’l, hourraqu’l, kich rradughu’n, ke gou bougu’nulilh, hou gudughunu valalhvi’muqu’l, gourr gudughunu goutsawi’warr, chviwan.
|Ever since then, a hill lies along there, they made the hill thinking, “The north wind might touch us again,” they felt so bad about those who abused them so terribly after that.|