FAQ Page

1. What is a Community Land Trust?

Community land trusts (CLT) preserve long-term affordable housing by purchasing homes in their communities, then selling the homes to income-eligible buyers while retaining ownership of the land. The homeowners lease the land from the community land trust using a long-term ground lease with affordable monthly ground rents. The ground lease includes provisions that preserve long-term affordability, including restrictions on the future sales price of the home and income levels of future homeowners.

2. How are CLTs Governed?

The Dishgamu Community Land Trust is a component unit of the Wiyot Tribe, this means the community land trust is fully Tribally-led. Staff submit recommendations to the Wiyot Tribe for review by the Tribal Council, who will have authority to make decisions. The Wiyot Tribal Council are publicly elected Wiyot Tribal Citizens who govern the Wiyot Tribe with support of Tribal staff and Citizens.

3. What does Dishgamu do?

Dishgamu Humboldt is the Community Land Trust of the Wiyot Tribe, operating in what is known today as the Humboldt Bay Area of Northern California. We facilitate the return of Wiyot ancestral lands to Wiyot stewardship, putting land in trust for the purposes of affordable housing creation, workforce development, and environmental and cultural restoration.

4. Can I live in the housing the Wiyot Tribe (Dishgamu) builds?

Each affordable housing development has a unique target population. Units may be reserved for individual groups or income restricted. While some market rate apartments may be available, the majority of Dishgamu Humboldt apartments are income restricted.

5. What housing options are available?


Youth Housing: Dishgamu Humboldt’s Jaroujiji’ Youth Housing is reserved for youth (16-24) who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, as well as youth needing to be rapidly rehoused. To be considered at risk of homelessness you must make below 50% of Area Median income. This building has Tribal preference.

Elders Housing: 9 units of seniors housing located in Loleta, California, serving seniors who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. To be considered at risk of homelessness you must make below 80% of Area Median income. This building has Tribal preference.

6. Who do we serve?

Humboldt County residents in unceded Wiyot Ancestral territory. All developments serve unique target populations and have tribal preference. Current populations served includes; Seniors and Youth, homeless and at risk of homelessness individuals and families.

We choose to have Tribal preference in all developments to promote Wiyot Citizens and people access to community, cultural sites, and ancestral territory. Less than (%) of Wiyot Citizens live within their ancestral territory due to years of extractive practices, genocide, and systematic removal/pricing out of Wiyot citizens. Dishgamu Humboldt aims to help restore the balance of people and place through prioritizing Tribal citizens and peoples.

7. How to Apply for Housing?

Jaroujiji Youth Housing: speak to your case manager, the CoC, probations officer, social worker, or CBO that refers to Dishgamu Humboldt.


8. How do I get in contact with Dishgamu staff?

Carrie Tully: Department Director: Ctully@Wiyot.us

Kris Crooks: Kristen@Wiyot.us

Sign up for Notifications: https://www.wiyot.us/list.aspx

9. Can I donate my land?

Yes! We accept land donations within Wiyot Ancestral Territory and work with land owners to create a cohesive vision for the property. You can choose to engage Dishgamu by creating a life estate, MOU, or other legal documentation of the donation of the property.

Don’t want to talk to staff? That’s ok! Land Donations can also be made via your will. Land Donations left to the Tribe this way will not have a review process with the owner to create the property plan. Land donated via will should be within Wiyot ancestral territory, and the Wiyot Tribe retains full right to refuse any land donated.

10. Why would you deny a land donation?

Land back is at the center of the Dishgamu Humboldt values, so why would we deny land donations? First, we only work within Wiyot Ancestral Territory, as a component unit of the Wiyot Tribe we do not work within another Tribes Ancestral Territory.

11. What is an easement?

A right to cross or otherwise use someone else's land for a specified purpose. Although Land Donation is always a goal, this simply isn’t feasible for everyone. Easements are a fantastic option for landowners located on Tribal Land that can’t donate their land.

12. Why would I put an Easement on my Land?

There are many types of easements. Dishgamu Humboldt facilitates the process of creating Cultural and Environmental easements. Some examples are:

     Environmental: I own a property in Blue Lake that has a salmon run through it. I would love for the Wiyot Tribe to have access to the land to monitor the health of the river and salmon. In this case I would contact Dishgamu Humboldt for an environmental easement review.

     Cultural: I own a property that is on a site where a Wiyot Ceremony was traditionally held, and I would like the Wiyot Tribe to have access to this site to preform this ceremony on the date it is held. To do this I can contact Dishgamu to facilitate a cultural easement.

     Other: I have a large piece of property that has a lot of native plant species and resources on it that I would like Wiyot people to legally have access to. I can contact Dishgamu to put an easement on the property to allow access to Wiyot citizens for resource gathering.

Easements are a great way to give access to traditional cultural sites, resources, and research, if you are unable to donate your land directly.

13. Do I live in Wiyot Ancestral Territory?

Wiyot Ancestral Territory extends from Little River (McKinleyville) to Bear River Ridge (Rio Dell Scotia) and nearly 40 miles inland. If you are unsure and want to know contact Dishgamu Humboldt and find out today.