Partial Bibliography Wiyot Tribal History
Partial Bibliography of Materials Covering Wiyot Tribal History Available From the Library
Ethnogeography & Culture
- Curtis, Edward S "The North American Indian." V.13. New York, Johnson Reprint Co., 1929. See index for references. 970.494 CUR
- Elsasser, Albert B. "Wiyot." "Handbook of North American Indians." V.8. Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1978. P155-163. Culture, language, history. REF 9704 HAN v.8
- Heizer, Robert F.,ed., "The California Indians: a sourcebook," 2nd ed.rev. and enlarged. Berkeley, CA, University of Berkeley Press, 1971. Various references to culture, language, etc. See index. 970.494 CAL
- Kinman, Seth, "The Seth Kinman Story" (handwritten) by Geo. M. Richmond; based upon the dictated memoirs of Seth Kinman himself. Unpublished memoirs from the Andrew Genzoli collection available in the HSU Library. White settler at Table Bluff recalls local Indians and hearsay accounts of the massacre. Not indexed. REF 979.412 KIN
- Kroeber, A. L., "Handbook of the Indians of California." New York, Dover Publications, 1976. Reprint. P112-120. Geography and culture. 970.4 KRO
- Loud, Llewellyn L., "Ethnogeography and archaeology of the Wiyot territory," Berkeley, CA, University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology, v. 14, no. 3, p.221-436, December 23, 1918. REF 940.49 LOU
- Raphael, Ray, "Two peoples, one place" (Humboldt History, v.1), Eureka, CA, Humboldt County Historical Society, 2007. Prehistory, pre-contact history, early post-contact history. REF 979.412 RAP
- Indian Island Massacre of February 25, 1860:
- Bledsoe, A.J., "Indian wars of the Northwest: a Calfornia sketch." Oakland, CA, Biobooks, 1956. P. 168-181, further references of forced removal to Klamath Reservation. No index. Many later accounts of massacre in other sources are drawn from this. 979.41 BLE
- Heizer, Robert F., ed., "The destruction of California Indians: a collection of documents from the Period 1847 to 1865 in which are described some of the things that happened to som of the Indians of California." Lincoln, NB, University of Nebraska Press, 1974. P.253-265, Newspaper articles about the massacre. 979.4 HEI
- Lowry, Chag,"Northwest indigenous gold rush history: the Indian survivors of California's holocaust." Arcata, CA, Humboldt State University, 1999. P. 2 to 7. Interview with Cheryl Seidner on tribal history. 970.1 LOW
- Norton, Jack, "Genocide in Northwestern California: when our worlds cried, " new ed. San Francisco, CA, Indian Historian Press, 1997. P. 81 to 92. 979.494 NOR
- Sparks, Virginia K., "Indian Island," Fortuna, CA, 1971. Typescript. 979.412 SPA
- Reichard, Gladys A., "Wiyot grammar and text:, University Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology. Vol.22, No. 1, pp. 1 to 215. Berkeley, CA, University of California Press, 1925. REF 497.9 REI.
- Tetter, Karl V. and John D. Nichols, "Wiyot Handbook I: glossary and concordance." Winnipeg, Manitoba, Algonquian and Iroquoian Linguistics, 10, c1993. REF 497.3 v. 1.
- Teeter, Karl V. and John D. Nichols, "Wiyot handbook II: interlinear translation and English index." Winnipeg, Manitoba, Algonquian and Iroquoian Linguistics, Memoir 11, c1993. REF 497.3 v.2.
- Eargle, Dolan H., "Native California guide weaving the past and present," 2000 ed. San Francisco, Trees Company Press, 2000. P. 102, Brief description of past and present, includes two photographs of reservation. 979.4 EAR
- Davis, Mary B., "Native America in the twentieth century." New York, Garland, 1996. P. 697-698. 9704 NAT
- Johnson, Ron and Colleen Kelley Marks,: Her mind made up: weaving caps the Indian way." Arcata, CA, Humboldt State University, 1998. P.215-232. Interviews with Wiyot Basket Weavers Leona Wilkinson and Cheryl Seidner. REF 746.41 JOH
- "Fishing History: Wiyot elder Nelson Rossig." Produced by Kan Kraepelien for KEET-TV living Biographies, Eureka, CA, 2001. VID 979.412 FIS
- "Irene Carlson." Produced by Jan Kraepelien for KEET-TV Living Biographies, Eureka, CA, 2000. VID 979.412 IRE